Facebook

visit360.net, the guide to wonders of the world in 360°

Home 18. század

Pakhlavan Mahmud Mausoleum is the holiest site in Khiva and it belongs to the highlights of any city tour. It is named after Pakhlavan Mahmud (1247-1325), a local craftsman making fur hats who was also a talented poet and a  famous wrestler. The local hero was entombed here, at the former place of his workshop but it soon  became a pilgrimage site and several khans decided to be buried here as well. They turned the small mausoleum into a spectacular emerald-green domed shrine.

Published in Khiva

It is a majestic late Baroque cathedral built over two centuries to replace the old summer cathedral of the city.

 

Published in Brescia

This is a typical Baroque church located halfway between Piazza Vecchia and the Citadel.

Published in Bergamo

The museum housed in a Renaissance palace commemorates Gaetano Donizetti, a famous opera composer born in Bergamo in 1797.

Published in Bergamo

The Cathedral dedicated to Saint Alexander of Bergamo is a beautiful Baroque church is its present form. History of the saint goes however back to much further, to the persecution of Christians.

Published in Bergamo

Piazza San Pancrazio bears two monuments to be visited: a medieval church rebuilt in Baroque style and a 16th-century fountain in front of it.

Published in Bergamo

Located at the  intersection of Corso Giamcomo Matteotti with Via Fratelli Bronzetti, exterior of this church is dominated by a huge neoclassic facade. Although being founded in the 13th century, nothing reminds us of its medieval origins because the church was completely rebuilt in the 18th century. Most visitors come here for a masterwork of Titian.

Published in Brescia

Luang Prabang is a city located in north central Laos, on the Mekong River about 425 km north of Vientiane, the present capital Laos. Name of the city means literally: Royal Buddha Image (in the Dispelling Fear mudra). Luang Prabang used to be the royal capital and seat of government of the Kingdom of Laos before 1975. This culturally rich city has been declared a Unesco World Heritage Site in 1995.

Published in Laos

The former parish church of Bruck an der Leitha, St. Martin's church outside the city walls was destroyed several times by the Turks. Thus, the Council decided to build a new church within the city. This Roman Catholic parish church of Holy Trinity was erected during the first phase (1696-1702) in the middle of town next to a much older 53-meter high watch tower. The second phase (1738 - 1740) meant  replacement of the simple facade with a magnificent two-storey facade, a work of architect Johann Georg Windpässinger.

Published in Burgenland

According to some speculations, this place could be a Roman shrine of Aphrodite that was converted into a shrine of Mary. In fact the village was mentioned first in 1324 as a popular place of pilgrimage. At that time it was called as "Zenmária" (Szent Mária,  Holy Virgin). The medieval church was destroyed in 1529 by the Turks and it remained a ruin for over 100 years. The church was rebuilt only when it came into the possession of Prince Paul Esterházy. The work was completed by 1680, but  unfortunately it was again destroyed by the Turks in 1683.  The architect Francesco Martinelli was commissioned by the prince in 1695 with the construction of the church that lasted till 1702.

Published in Burgenland
<< Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>
Page 1 of 2