visit360.net, the guide to wonders of the world in 360°

Home Győr-Moson-Sopron county

This cemetary chapel dedicated to King St. Stephen was built by King Ladislaus according to the popular tradition. Its sanctuary is Romanesque (13th century),while the nave and the small tower is gothic (14th century). The chapel was partially rebuilt in the 18th century and was restored in 1982.

The church of the former Premonstratensian abbey dates from the first half of the 13th century. Originally built in a Romanesque and Gothic style it was remodelled around 1750 to suit Baroque taste.

In all likelihood the provostry church already stood here before 1251. Two towers guard its west facade and the cascaded porch framed by smooth columns just out of the wall surface. The south and north facades are articulated by plain buttresses and arched windows. Narrow medieval windows break the wall of the rectangular sanctuary.